T. W. Ogg Elementary

T. W. Ogg Elementary
T. W. Ogg Elementary School

Monday, July 5, 2010

Thing #18

I downloaded Open Office. I like the idea that I can access the same types of programs for free that I had to pay for with Microsoft Office. I see an immediate advantage for my home. My husband recently bought a new desktop computer that came with Microsoft Works. My young adult literature professor wanted all our papers turned in using Microsoft Word. Fortunately I had Word on my laptop, but I would have had to pay for it if I hadn't. Now I know that I don't have to pay for it because I can save and print my papers as Word documents using Open Office. The only disadvantage I can see is that you might not get the same tech support that you would with Microsoft Office, but Open Office does automatically update the program on my computer. Support may not be an issue after all.

1 comment:

  1. You bring up a point that I personally had not thought about...support. I do think that there is probably enough info out there that you could "google" a question.
    I have not heard anyone who uses it regularly mention it as an issue...so maybe it is not!

    ReplyDelete