T. W. Ogg Elementary

T. W. Ogg Elementary
T. W. Ogg Elementary School

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Thing #15

I believe that it is extremely important that libraries be the leaders in ushering in Web 2.0 technology. I agree that there are some ideas that librarians need to let go as Rick Anderson stated in "Away from the Icebergs." Libraries need to move away from relying solely or mostly on print resources for their patrons. The digital generation is aging and seeking information in ways that are most relevant to them. They are looking to the Internet, e-mail, texting, podcasts, webquests, wikis, blogs, etc. Libraries need to be ready to provide their patrons with the digital and technological tools their patrons need.
For me, I am still a babe in the Web 2.0 world, but I am quickly growing accustomed to it. I have learned how useful it can be for me personally and professionally. I think I now understand why I don't always relate well with my students. I have still been using 20th century teaching on 21st century students. It's time to learn their language.

Anderson, R. (2006). Web 2.0: Where will it take libraries? Away from icebergs. Next Space: The OCLC Newsletter. Retrieved from http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/2.htm

2 comments:

  1. you realizing that communicating differently with students I think willhave a huge effect on your success with them! I'm not saying everything has to be 2.0...but it is a big part of their life and you understanding that will benefit both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, but also remember teachers ( us ) have also a playing role in using tech. in side the classroom.

    Never the less a little hep is always great at any time.
    and by the way great job on your 23 things excellent.

    ReplyDelete